Monday, September 07, 2009

der Pacemaker 52

As a former track runner in school, I somehow felt an obligation to complete at least one full marathon even though I was no longer running competitively. Yes, just one marathon and that was good enough. But I never gave it much thought until the end of 2007 when I finally sat down and drafted a marathon training schedule. The target would be the 2008 AmBank KL International Marathon.

Training started in December 2007. The plan was to gradually up my mileage till I did at least two 30k runs before race day. Like most people, I ended up getting behind my schedule. As a result, I then decided to even fit a 35k run a week before race day. Well, not sure if that helped or hurt things, but I completed my first full the week without hitting the wall or suffering any cramps or injuries. Completion time was 4hr 2min with an even 2:01 split at the halfway mark.

So my “obligation” was completed and it was time to pack my bags and leave the marathon scene. But the marathon itch would soon come back and three months later, I had my first run with the Pacemakers. As of now, it has been a year with the pacemakers and it truly has been an enjoyable experience training, racing, and volunteering as one big family. Not to mention having an exceedingly popular blog to represent us.

At the Bidor Half Marathon 2009. From L-R – Andrew (PM 59), Victor, Me.

I’m currently preparing for my second (Penang) and third full marathon (Singapore) this November and December respectively. Like most working people, I’m pushed to have most of my trainings done during the weekends. But nonetheless, I try to fit in a few runs before work during weekdays as well.

Yup, so that’s all from me now. Do keep updated with my blog at http://runningmagic.blogspot.com.

No comments: