Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Welcome to der Family's : der Pacemakers # 85

6 June 2012

My Running Story

I remember vaguely when I was in 14 years old and in Form 2, I was very interested in running. One day my dad took me to the track at Majlis Sukan Negara at Bukit Jalil and we bumped into Coach Sir Ishtiaq Mobarak, a former Malaysian Olympian. My dad spoke to him to ask if he is able to train me and he said “ Yes ! just bring your son to the track every weekends” and that is when my running started.




Sir Ishtiaq taught me the proper technique of running. Prior to meeting him, I was a heel runner, meaning that when I run, I landed on my heel and this in turn wasted a lot of energy as well as made me prone to injuries, especially at the knee, tendon and calf region of the leg. Sir Ishtiaq totally transformed my running style to become a mid-foot runner, the most ideal running style for middle and long distance runners and this in turn saw a significant and huge improvement in my running times and performance. So for this purpose, I am hugely indebted and owe Sir Ishtiaq a lot as he did all of this without receiving any monetary rewards from me, not because I couldn’t afford it, but simply because he didn’t accepted it as he would always say that running is something one should do or teach purely for the love of it and not otherwise.




I set my own goals and meet it along the way. I started at a comfortable pace and today I can proudly say that I’m in the company of the running elites, at least where Malaysia is concerned. My ultimate dream is to run the marathon in maybe a year or two and hopefully, finger crossed do it under 3 hours. I know I can do it because I go by the motto NOTHING IS IMPOSSIBLE and where achieving your goals are concerned, if you put in the hard work, determination and be disciplined, it can definitely be achieved any time.    

There are times when I go several days without a run, and I can literally FEEL the longing in my heart to hit the track again.  I’m not sure when it happened, this change of the why I run, or rather, why I don’t stop running. But I’m pretty sure this means I’m a runner and my running story will continue.

I believe that "If you run, you are a runner. It doesn't matter how fast or how far. It doesn't matter if today is your first day or if you've been running for twenty years. There is no test to pass, no license to earn, no membership card to get. You just run." 

--John Bingham



Thanks to Captain Ronnie See of the Pacemakers Malaysia for inviting me into the Pacemakers family network. Love u guys so much.. muak!


Brought 2u by Jothpal Singh @ PM85

Facebook @ http://www.facebook.com/jothpal.singh

No comments: