Friday, February 01, 2019

Welcome to der family Pacemakers #16 (Ng Shi Ren)


First and foremost, I would like to thank Captain Ronnie See for gifting me this opportunity of being part of the Pacemaker running community. Never expected to receive this honour, as I once believed membership was only granted to those who were regular podium placers. 


My name is Shi Ren, and just like many others; I commenced my running journey at a young age. I started off as a sprinter in primary school, running the standard 100m, 200m, and 400m but quickly realized that those were not my forte.

I stopped for a couple of years afterwards, before meeting Patricia, who enlightened me to the existence of half marathons and marathons. At that time, the only time I ever ran was during badminton practice, at most 2k to 3k at a time. But strangely, the first thing I thought of was “42km? That’s crazy! But I can do that’’, and that’s how I came to toe the line of SCKLM 2017 as a 14-year-old with only 1 HM under my belt. 



Amazingly, I finished, albeit sore, bruised and battered, but I was also slightly crazier and in other words, there was no turning back. Soon after, I felt the urge to go even further, signing up for my first ultra at B2E, in which I managed to shuffle 72km. After that, I continued on and set my sights on Gopeng 100km. 



This was when I started looking for running clubs to enhance my running, fortunately, i managed to find the LGKL group who trained a mere 3km away from my house. The first time I joined LGKL, my first thoughts were that I definitely did not belong there; everybody was insanely fast and to my surprise, nobody took breaks in between loops- something I had always done before. 

It was a shock to the system but I started following the group and quickly saw drastic improvements. I hit my target and safely finished my virgin 100k when I turned 15 while breaking PBs at all distances. To this date, I have completed 17 FMs (including 10 ultras). As for 2019, with the guidance of LGKL teammates, I hope to break my distance barrier and finish 168km at Route 68.



So far, running has taught me more than any teacher, hence I hope it stays as a companion for life. Cheers to PBs galore and greater experiences ahead!



brought 2u by 
Ng Shi Ren @ PM16
Facebook : Click here!

No comments: