Sunday, June 02, 2019

Welcome to der Family : der Pacemakers #10 (Seong Mun)

Firstly, I would like to thank Captain Ronnie See for selecting me to be part of Pacemakers Malaysia family. My name is Chow Seong Mun, you can address me as “Mun or Seong Mun” or you can follow others to call me “Lucky Mun” or “Podium Mun”.

Pic taken during my chemotherapy treatment in 2013
Running in races and marathons wasn’t what I had in mind when I first started. I have no running or exercise background during my school time. I was just an accidental runner who got hooked on running! Since then, I’ve been running to beat it before it does me. 

It started when I was diagnosed with Leukemia in 2012 and started to realized that health is very important to take care of. After completed my chemotherapy treatment in 2015, I started my running exercises, with daily routine of slow jog around 6 - 8km in Bukit Jalil Park. I run to keep myself healthy.

Left: Daily running routine at Bukit Jalil Park in June 2015; Right: Pic taken in Bukit Jalil Park in Aug 2015
From there, I knew quite a few running friends and one of my running friend, Nickson Khor, has encouraged me to start participating in the running events.  

After a year running, it’s only in 2016 that I started to participate in running event. The first event was Bukit Jalil Half Marathon in 2016 with a timing of 2hr15mins for 22.5KM. I felt grateful that I managed to complete this longest distance run as prior to this event, I didn’t even run more than 10km.

Left: My first HM in Bukit Jalil Half Marathon in 2016; Right: Pic taken with my running friend, Nickson Khor
Next one, I joined HM in SCKLM 2016 with a timing 1.45. I do not give up in keep improving my personal timing by continuous training.

Pictures taken during my SCKLM 2016
After SCKLM 2016, I managed to break my HM personal record in 2017 TwinCity HM of 1.40.

Pictures taken in Twincity Marathon 2017
I haven’t stopped joining the races and luckily won some podium since then once I tasted the adrenaline coursing through my body in every race.

Left: Picture taken with Ken Ten & Meng in KL New Year Run 2017;
Right: Podium pics taken with Captain Ronnie See
Until now, I am envy on the elite runners that can run faster and keep improving their timing, which I cannot run too fast and furious due to my continuous treatment that involves blood transfusion and treatment every six months. However, I told myself that I will never give up to continue my running journey even though I collapsed once while I was doing my daily running routine and also while I was riding motorcycles last time. 

Left: Pic when blackout and collapsed during running; Right: Taken in Key Power Sports 25km Run in 2019
Now I am grateful that I am still able to run happily.  I’m simply delighted and proud to be amongst the forefront of Malaysia’s run enthusiasts. Last but not least, I pray there is miracle that my current health conditions can be cured without going through my regular blood transfusion + treatment. I also humbly hope that I can learn from all the elites in this Pacemakers family. Spirit of PIA is always burning in my heart during my running journey.

brought 2u by Chow Seong Mun @ PM10
Seong Mun Facebook : Click here!

No comments: