Monday, December 30, 2019

Welcome to der family Pacemakers #115 (Emily Koo)

Thank you, Ronnie, (Pacemakers Malaysia) for inviting to your amazing running group. First of all, I would like to confess…. 
I HATE running

Anyway, this was my reason to start running, because I wanted to get out from my comfort zone by doing something that I hated and never good at. I’m a dive master and even a HIIT trainer but never imaging myself as runner. Now I could name myself a runner or even ultramarathoner. All these dramas begin from early 2019. Yes, you read correctly, 2019 is the year I started as runner.


I started with a big dream; the dream was so big even everyone I know teasing me. My dream is to complete a Marathon! A dream must come with a plan, otherwise it will be only a dream. So, I started with getting all necessary running gear ready, plan out some training plan, look for training group or training buddy, attend all sorts of basic classes and learn up nutrition planning. Finally, start signing up races to force myself to commit………………………... suicide XD 

Running gears, culture shock! Why so expensive!? Compare to diving when everyone claimed it a luxury sport. So many different gears use for different running activities like road or trail or mix or even triathlon. These are the knowledge I slowly pick up from all my wrong purchases.
Training plan, I know nuts about it and I do not have the motivation to follow training plan alone blindly. So, what next is follow a running group training and adopt a training buddy. From all these people, I learned all the running terms like DNF, DNS, Interval, LSD, Fartlek, Tempo run, VO2 max, so and so forth. Thanks to Pacemaker accepting to be a part of the family to train and learn together, I never expect captain will take me as a newbie and slow runner.  

After been through several trainings and races, I begin to encounter INJURIES!!! I know I have to get it fixed and also learn something about injury management. I begin to see physiotherapies, sports nutritionist and running gurus. Then I started to explore recovery workout, stretching technic, foam rolling, consuming protein and supplements. I know I won’t be going far if I do not master the injury management. Thanks to my training buddy for always remind me to rest and recover. This is so important for all runners. Rest well recover well; you will definitely run further. 


Score Marathon 2019 21km
Rotary Club Charity Run 15km
Dust Run out Marathon 21km
NPE Highway Challenge 21km 
AXE Heart In Action Run 21km 
Saucony Run Malaysia 30km 
PJ Half Marathon 30km 
ASIC Relay 21km 
BMW 10km (Event Cancelled) 
Standard Chartered KL Marathon 42km
District 10km 
Sekinchan Ultra 50km

Finally, here are part of my races schedule. 

I do increase my distance gradually, just that I done it within a year XD
Lastly, I’m so grateful to be able to meet so many awesome people along the running journey.

brought 2u by Emily Koo @ PM115
Facebook : Click here!

2 comments:

Jasper said...

Woohoo! What an inspirational story.
A real Marine.
Got athletic talent, and mental toughness.
Jasper

Emily Koo said...

Thank you Jasper ! Enjoy your ice skiing and looking forward run together.

Em 😊